The big day arrived and we gave Sam his new Hot Wheels snack bag and off we went to drop him off for the first day. As we stood in the hall waiting for the door to the Orange Room to open, Sam excitedly showed his friend, Collin, his new snack bag and explained to him that those cars go really, REALLY fast because they have HOT WHEELS!

When the door opened, Grace gave Sam a big hug goodbye and went home with Miss Cara while Kris and I headed off to work. An hour after I arrived at work, my cell rang. I recognized that the number was the preschool and I was a little nervous to answer...I feel really bad, but my first thought was, "He's only been there an hour! How could he have gotten into trouble already!" I know, I know...have a little faith, right? It's just so hard given Sam's track record with a "school" setting. Daycare centers were an awful situation for him, so I was a little nervous about him getting back into a school setting, but was optimistic about sending him into a class of 10 students with two teachers as opposed to a class of 24 students with two teachers.
So, anyway, my cell phone rings and I answer with a timid, "hello?" And the very pleasant and happy voice of Ms. Sharon, the director at the preschool, asks, "Erin, are you still interested in getting Grace into school? Because it looks like we have an opening in the Yellow Room!"
I was relieved and THRILLED at the same time! Grace was so excited when Kris told her the news that night. Thursday morning, we got her ready to go. I didn't get to get a picture of her with her bag like Sam because she didn't receive her bag until she got to school since she never got to have a visitation day. And her class doesn't allow snack bags because they handle snacks for the group instead of individually. But she was pretty darn excited to take one of her favorite books as her share item for the morning. Her teacher said she had a great day and seemed really happy to be in school.
Our little tomboy on her first day of school...no pretty dresses here...jeans and tennis shoes were insisted upon...at least the sweatshirt is pink with a ruffle *sigh*
No tears out of this mama...just happy that the first week of school was a success!

1 comment:
They are so CUTE, Erin! What a great first week of school, soooo glad it worked out for Grace, too :)
Post a Comment