Tuesday, March 9, 2010

80 years young...

I say 80 years young because, when Grandma called herself old in front of Sam, he said, "Grandma Pat, it's not nice to say 'old' because it hurts people's feelings." And I was really happy to know he was listening that day in Starbucks...

Well, this post is a little late since my Grandma's birthday is actually the end of February and that's the weekend I packed up the kids and attempted to drive through the edge of a blizzard to get to the party. But, Grandma loves to extend the celebration as long as possible so she was probably hoping that I'd hold off on this post until six months into her 80th year.

Back to the blizzard...
After six hours on the road, passing several ditched cars and a jack-knifed tractor trailer on slippery roads, and only getting as far as Toledo (the town that usually marks hour four of a normally seven(ish)-hour trip), I decided that we better get a room for the night and continue on in the morning. When I told the kids that we were stopping to stay at a hotel, they freaked out. They were certain they were going to miss the birthday party. After some reassurance that we would not miss the party, they settled into bed at the hotel for the night. And I was able to snap this cute pic of them at six the next morning before I had to wake them to hit the road:


The three of us packed up and made it on the road bright and early on Saturday and the road conditions were 100% better than the night before. Upon arriving in Harbor Beach, we went straight to Grandma Pat's and Papa Tommy's house to surprise Grandma and let her know we were there to celebrate the big 8-0. She was very surprised, while we were careful not to mention that Sarah, Nate, Caleb and Graham would also be rolling into town within the next hour (which is pretty impressive for a 3- and 5-year-old who LOVE to talk!).

The rest of the weekend was filled with celebrating birthdays (Grandma shares her birthday with her baby, Uncle Bill), playing with cousins, visiting, eating and playing in the snow, complete with building a snowman with Grandma (which I have no photos of...all on Mom's camera!).

Grandma and Uncle Bill with their cakes — don't let the numbers fool you...Uncle Bill swapped out Grandma's "0" with his "8" to try and make himself feel eight years younger for a few minutes :)

Opening presents — Dr. Seuss from Claire and Gavin and the boys


I have a few more pictures from the weekend that need their own posts, so stay tuned!

Happy Birthday, Grandma! I hope you're still celebrating! :)

No comments: